Tips for Safe Cycling
Know Our Traffic Rules
- Bicycles should only be ridden on the road (not the sidewalk)
- Ride on the left in single-file
- Stop at every red light; pause and check left/right at every rail crossing and stop sign
- Use of mobiles phones and handheld devices are strictly prohibited while cycling
Recommended Cycling Equipment
- Conduct regular bike maintenance and check your bike before each trip
- Always wear a helmet
- Carry a puncture repair kit
- Equip your bike with a bell, as well as front and rear lights for visibility
Good to Know
It’s bright out here
The UV rays are strong in Nagano! It’s a good idea to wear sunglasses and use sunscreen.
There are areas with no vending machines; have plenty of drinks and nutrition to fuel your ride.
Elevation varies greatly
Beware of temperature and weather fluctuations. Don’t forget to bring a windbreaker and rain gear.
There are blind corners and long descents
Watch your speed and be vigilant for oncoming traffic.
There are wild animals
In forested and mountainous areas, wild animals may suddenly dart out onto the road.
Do not touch or feed the animals. Do not touch or move carcasses.
We get a lot of snow
We recommend cycling the roads only between April through November.